Thursday, August 10, 2006

Too Much Information...

I'm a little afraid that there might be too much information out there on the world wide web about me.

I was made aware of the fact when this evening out of the blue I received a phone call from a long lost friend. Okay, this isn't bad because I knew this guy and he's completely trustworthy(even someone I was happy to talk to). I was just a little perplexed when he called me, especially on my land line phone, which isn't known by too many people. So I asked the question on the top of my mind, how did you get this number.

His response, "Oh, I just looked your name up on the internet and I got your number and address." Being that his response alarmed me somewhat I decided to try this for myself. I went to a online phone directory site and typed in my name and state. One simple click and I had my phone number and address on the screen (minus my apartment number - so I felt better about that).

Another click away and some exchange of money and I could have easily gotten a background check on myself.

Well, to turn the tables a little bit I typed in my friend's name. John Guengerich I know where you live!! (Not that I didn't know that already).

No comments: