Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bike Movement....

Now if you've had the chance to read my previous entry then you already know of my intent to talk about Bike Movement. I first heard of Bike Movement from my good friend Mike, who had known that our common acquintance, Nate Maust, was biking with the group. I was interested in what Mike was sharing about this group of young adults biking from the Pacific to the Atlantic Oceans.

Mike went ahead and forwarded to me the Bike Movement website. As I read who was involved with this movement and why they were taking months from their summer to cycle across the country I was hooked. Just about everyday I went online to see where they were at, read their journal entries, read forums, or just look at their really cool photo gallery.

Even today I went online to see how things were progressing with the group. I learned that today they were attempting to set a Bike Movement record, and were in the process of biking a double century (200 miles).

Though I know that each one of them enjoys biking and is taking something from this experience, what's really awesome is what they giving to this movement. It's sort of a two fold effort here (and they explain best at their website). As they travel across the country they're creating dialogue and community with other young adults from the church. It's about each voice being heard and the church learning from each other as they grow in relationship with Christ. They're stopping at Mennonite (and sometimes non-Mennonite) churches along the way and meeting with people and creating dialogue. They're encouraging others to join them for any length of time as they (like how I went and spent and evening fellowship). And they're keeping a VERY up to date website that has a really neat forum that allows people from their own homes to join in the dialogue.

I did say that this movement was two fold. Their other effort is to create support and funding for AMIGOS. They are in the midst of raising $50,000 to help support the effort of sending other youth and young adults to Mennonite World Conference, so their voices can also be heard in the church. The way they estimate funding is if they're able to receive $15 for each mile that they're biking across country then they'll have reached their goal.

I know there is a lot of worth while causes in the world; heartbreaking concerns that we choose between when giving of our blessings. The question I'd like to present to each of you is this; have you ever felt that no one was listening to you, or that you weren't even present to have your voice heard? Just know that you can affect someone else's ability to have their voice heard.

When I look at how the Mennonite Church has grown around the world, and how dynamic it has become in it's diversity, I can't help but desire that we continue in that direction. For that reason it is important that every voice have a chance to be heard no matter their financial circumstances. I like to ask you each of you to consider giving to AMIGOS, that more voices would have the chance to be heard.

If your wondering how you might give just visit Bike Movement online. They have information concern donations by mail, and they've made it possible to make a donation online with your credit card.

While your online making your donation please check out the participants page. I'd suggest thinking of these young adults and keeping them in your prayers. It's not always easy out their on the roads, and sometimes even dangerous. I'm sure they'd appreciate your prayer support as well.

No comments: