Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Learning to Save...

A couple of evening ago I wrote out this really neat blog entry about my new experiences with MySpace.com. Come to find out later there must have been a glitch, because my entry didn't post. Of course, I wasn't too smart, for I didn't save my work. That's something I'm going to have to work on; I'm sure it'll improve my health by keeping my frustration and blood pressure low.

Well, on to the cool world of MySpace.com. Over a year ago one of my dear friends told me about this "evil" thing called MySpace. She said that people who were up to no good went to MySpace and did their no good deeds. Well, I figured if it wasn't wholesome then I'd just ignore it.

Periodically in the last year I would hear from other friends about them joining MySpace, and the long lost friends they reconnected with there. Eventually curiosity got ahold of me and I checked it out. Not only did I check it out I started myself an account. It's been pretty neat! I've looked up old high school and college acquaintances and reconnected again. I've enjoyed reading from their profiles where God has lead them and what they've been doing.

The only harmful aspect of MySpace (that I've found true for me) is how addicting it is. On the other hand I know what my first friend was saying about it being unwholesome. She saw it for what certain people were using the site for, but I've learned that it's what you make of it.

Okay, on to other news. I've cut back on eating meat. No, I'm not a vegetarian, but I've been concerned recently about the lack of efficiency in using our world's finite resources. It's some reading I've been doing that lead me to understand how meat products consume more resources (land/water) than are necessary. If the same land and water were used to feed human need (with grains and such) it would far more efficiently feed people than the animals raised on that same land and water.

Don't worry I'm not preaching to anybody or telling them that they should follow suit. It's just my own conscience that lead me to give up the large quantities of meat I consume. I figure I'll still eat meat on occasions, but if one less person needed as much meat than maybe more of our resources could be used to displace hunger somewhere else in the world.

You know, it's been fun so far. I've enjoyed trying new ideas, replacing fruits or vegetables in items for where I use to place meat. Like for example my favorite sandwich is turkey. Anything with bread turkey and cheese and I've got myself a fine lunch. So today instead of turkey I had bread, mushrooms and cheese. It was really good!! The day before I had bread, apple and cheese. That was even better!!!

You should try it yourself sometime. I used some honey wheat bread that I made late last week. Sliced an apple in fine strips and used some Brie cheese. I made it just like a grilled cheese sandwich and with the bread toasted with butter and the melted cheese I was in heaven. The tartness of the apple with the cheese was excellent.

I'm sure by now I've got your mouth watering, so you should be going to make yourself a grilled apple cheese sandwich. ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Brendan said...

wonder why you mentioned you weren't preaching at anybody :).

speaking of preaching, last sermon i heard contained a ten minute tirade against rock music, slouching your pants around your knees, and myspace.com.

i was saying "amen brother!" just like everybody else =).

Jenn Heatwole said...

I was told to be careful not to preach.

And about sermons, some of us enjoy preachers who don't have all the answers : )