Monday, October 31, 2005

Flashback: Fall 1999

That ringing! Isn't somebody going to answer the phone? I guess that leaves it up to me to answer it.

Up from my desk, out the dorm room door, down the long coridoor to the hall phone. The whole time I wonder to myself why doesn't this school upgrade and put phones in each of the student's rooms. Honestly, two hall phones for twenty girls, the math doesn't add up favorably.

In the past, one of the nineteen other girls would have raced to the phone, and saved me from the long walk to the phone. I'm never expected to have to answer the phone, my room happens to be the furthest from the phones.

It's strange this evening that the hall is so quiet, and of all people I must answer this phone that hasn't stopped ringing. Whoever is on the other line is quite persistant.

I pick up the phone, "Hello."

"Jen is that you?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"Laura."

"Laura?"

"Yes, there has been an accident."

"An accident? Is that the noise I hear?"

"Yes, there has been a bad accident. The van rolled and Maria and Russ are hurt bad."

"The van? The fifteen-passanger van?"

"Yes, it rolled and people are hurt bad."

"Maria and Russ are hurt and there are others who are hurt?"

"Yes, there are others hurt. I'm the only one that's not."

"What do you need Laura? What can I do?"

"You need to tell someone who is in charge at the school that the van was in an accident."

"Where are you at Laura?"

"We don't know. We were lost and trying to find our way back at the time of the accident."

"So you don't have any idea where you might be."

"No. Hurry though, Maria and Russ are hurt bad."

"Okay, Laura. I'll do my best to get you help. Can you stay on the line."

"No, the batttery on the cell phone is almost dead."

"Don't worry Laura I'll get you all help."

"Okay, Jen. I'll stay on the phone as long as I can, please hurry."

"I'll be back, hold on."

The earlier walk down the hall now was a run going back the way I came, taking just enough time to realize that I truly was the only one on the hall. Down the stairs I go, hoping that I have better luck finding someone on another hall. No one on the other girl's hall, this isn't looking good.

All that's left is to search the two boy's halls, even though it's not open hours. Using good judgement I'm sure this is an acceptable exception to the open hours rule. Good judgeme;nt pays off someone hears my call for help and comes out of their door. There is an instant relief of shared burden. The burden still remains though, our friends are in trouble, they need action.

My newly found rescuer knows the home number to the College President, isn't that convenient? He makes the call while I make my way back to phone I left Laura waiting on. She's gone now, her phone must have died. This is unfortunate since we still don't know where the accident took place.

The College President is now alerted to the situation, he will find these accident victims. Me and one other are small in number and the burden of care and sadness is great. Now is a time for prayer. Our prayers are for the safety of those injured, soon other students join us in prayer and our petitions increase. The story begins to circulate and even more students join in the prayer, and then the singing beings.

It's the first time I remember hearing the hymn "Healer of Our Every Ill." It's very appropriate considering the circumstances.

Later in the evening the offical word comes in, the students involved in the accident have been found. Miracously, they were found by EMT's that were holding a convention in a hotel just up the road. Each student had their very own ambulance to travel in while they were taken to a nearby hospital.

The College President was able to find them by calling around to local hospitals. School officials immediately drove out to be with the admitted students. Within time each student is released with the exception of three critically injured students. Reige will need plastic surgery to help the mess that is now his face. Russ has received a spinal injury he will walk again, but hockey is no longer an option for this star athlete. Maria has broken her spine and will never walk again.

Laura is the first released from the hospital and returned to the school. It is very late now and she immediately goes to bed. Laura is my roommate, I want to help her, but realize sleep is for the best at this time.

The next morning breakfast is about to end. Laura is still not up and I don't want to wake her. I go down to the cafeteria, maybe they'll make another exception and let me take a plate of food up to our room. This is definitely a time for exceptions, and they heap a large breakfast plate for Laura with my promise to return it. Laura is awake when I return and grateful for the food.

The College President has scheduled a special service this morning. There are no classes today, and every student comes out to give thanks to God for the lives He's saved. Laura is sitting next to me and I'm thankful that she's still alived and unharmed. I praise God for the blessing of His protection. I question though, God, why are Maria, Reige and Russ harmed so? Is it okay to question God's judgement? I don't have the answers, but rely on a faith that passes understanding. For it's in God that my peace comes from.

http://rockhay.tripod.com/worship/music/healer.htm

No comments: