Thursday, October 13, 2005

Almost Too Many To Count...

This past Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny, a very dear woman in her 80's. Jenny is confined to a wheelchair now, but talking with her you soon realize just how much life she really has. She exudes energy, and after hearing some of her life story I can see why God gave one person that much extra energy. In her life Jenny has given birth to 22 children. She went on to tell me that only 14 of her children survived to adulthood. The only thought in my head at that point was, "Is it physically possible to have 22 children?"

After doing some math I conclude that it is not only physically possible but it also means that Jenny spent 16.5 years of her life pregnant. She was quite literally pregnant for that long since none of the children were twins or triplets. Jenny was also married to the same man for all those years and they loved their rather large family. I'm happy that the Lord choose to bless them in that way, but I believe I'll stick with the average 2.5, there's nothing wrong with being average :-)

On another note I found this article online today. I have heard of this family before and I'm glad to see that Mother and baby are all right. It looks like they are well on their way to matching Jenny's numbers.

http://people.aol.com/people/articles/0,19736,1116975,00.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

22 doesn't sound like too many to me! ;)

Brendan said...

that's a loooooong time to be pregnant. that's more years than i spent in school!!