Friday, October 21, 2005

Reasons You Might Need a Candle...

I'm sitting here with a smile on my face as I reflect on the title I just gave this entry. Think about for a second and tell me what it sounds like to you. {long drawn out pause} Well, it reminds me of the game show Family Feud. Wouldn't it be fun to see how a survey of one hundred people would rank that question.

Reasons You Might Need a Candle:

1. Romantic Dinners
2. To Make a Room Smell Nice
3. For Light to See By

And #3 brings me to my point. Candles are most helpful to see with, especially during blackouts.

Each morning when I'm getting ready for work I like to light a candle in my bathroom close to the sink. The smell is pleasant to me and helps me wake up and greet the morning (which isn't always so easy for me). This morning I lit my customary candle (I think it was vanilla ice cream) and I went about getting myself ready for work. I was almost finished curling my hair when suddenly the lights went out...lucky me I had a candle lit so I wasn't in total darkness. Added blessing I was almost finished with my hair and curling irons take some time to cool down, so I had heat left to finish my work.

The blackout put me a few minutes behind schedule, but nothing serious. When I went outside my apartment I realized I wasn't the only one in the dark. Then when I drove down the road I realized the apartment complex wasn't the only place in the dark either, the whole community of Murray was. This blackout made driving to work this morning a little tricky, but a whole lot quicker since all the stoplights were out of order and I didn't have to worry over red lights.

Since coming to work I heard over the radio that they have the power up and running in Murray, that's good to hear because I would like light to work by when I arrive home tonight. All in all this blackout wasn't too traumatic for me...I give a lot of the credit to the nice smelling vanilla ice cream candle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Thy Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Psalms 119:105) - Just think; as that tiny candle was light to you in the blackout, Jesus is light enough to penetrate the blackest darkness. "..in Him there is no darkness at ALL". (1 John 1:5) The magintude of that thought always blows me away.