Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Africa...One Day At a Time

I'm sharing my Africa experience just as I first wrote it...not very literary I might add.

Names are being protected by only using the first letter of the first name. Understand though that there were multiple people in our group that shared this first letter, so that keeps some anonimity.

Enjoy!!!

May 3rd...

Arrived in Lesotho today and culture shock has begun to set in. The trip has seemed so long and tiring, and now I'm ready for a shower and clean clothes.

What has impressed me most about Africa so far is the relationships that seem so prevalent. These relationship are apparent in how Africans relate to one another and how they relate to our group. The attitude here seems to be very relaxed and easy-going. The Africans are truly interested in relating to each one of us.

As I came into the airport I decided to thank my customs worker in sesotho. She was more than surprised she was very happy with my effort. Her response was to help me learn new sesotho.

I was really unsure of how our group would do together. Actually I had serious doubts that most of us would get along. The beginning of our trip has proven to me that those doubts were undfounded. We have really begun to bond and support one another.

The layover in London was quite nice. We were able to see Buckingham Palace and the surrounding gardens. Two interesting events took place while we were there, a filming of a television drama and a Michael Jackson support rally/dance.

May 4th...

Greeted this morning by the African sunrise. Waking in the mountains today was liken to waking at Granddaddy Vance's farm. The birds were chirping and Africans were moving and talking.

We went for a very very long hike today. It ended up being much longer (not in distance just in time) than we had anticipated. It started with traveling through a village of the friendliest Africans and then traversing down a little goat trail.

It was down the little goat trail that R. twisted her ankle and the group had to come together to help her. Now that it's in the past I look back and realize it was a great bonding experience for us. It was such a relief though when we made it up the last hill to the village and the truck came towards us to take us home. R. had the best one liner in the back of the truck, "My hiney is happy."

May 5th...

Today we practiced sesotho in pairs and M. asked to pair up with me. It was good to be practicing.

We then went hiking on the most difficult hike yet and I became sick from the heat. It was amazing though how the group rallied around me. Even when I felt like I was holding them back.

I eded up spending the later part of the afternoon resting, while the rest of the group went to visit the village families. Everyone came back excited and filled with stories about their host homes.

The before dinner band and dancing was so African that I couldn't help but be happy. The dinner was large and they served steak again...yum.

The evening ended on a high note with drinking and card play, the group was...D., B., M., and S. It was a really fun group.

I'm still in shock that I'm in Africa. Happy to be here, yet really missing home. Life seems so hard and dirty here, and I'm use to busy and clean. We do stay busy her, but its at a slower pace. I'm glad I didn't bring my watch, because no one here is concerned with time.

May 6th...

Today was my breaking point and by early evening I was holding back tears. I was hungry and tired, but more than anything completely physically exhausted. Today was the third hike of our three day stay here and the steep incline kicked my butt. The sun was worse than the hiking itself. The sun is so intense and brutal that it makes you search for shade, of which there is none. My sun hat hasn't come off from day one, while there are those in the group who enjoy sun-bathing. I'm always searching for a nice shady spot hoping for a cool breeze.

I met my village family after the hike and it was such a pleasure to see them. I'm still not sure who all is part of the immediate family because all sorts of relatives are in for a funeral. My m'e (sesotho for mother) was especially happy to see me after having missed the first visit the day before. I was given a new sesotho name by my bo ausi (sesotho for sisters [plural]) lebisto la la ke ausi Lerato Pakela (sesotho for my name is sister Lerato Pakela). I learned that Lerato means love. It was very touching for me when my sisters named me. It was even more sweet when R. received his sesotho name abuti Toboho Pakela (sesotho for brother Toboho Pakela) Toboho means thanks [for this son].

I was a little frustrated today by the babying that everyone wanted to give me on the hike. It's really hard to be the person that holds everyone else back (not something I'm use to at all). Especially when our group is already seen as cursed on hikes. Now I'm beginning to see myself as the curse.

Today R. told our ausi (sister) that she was beautiful, and you should have seen the look of joy on her face. He had to say it three times for her to look at him she was so embarrassed, but he wanted her to believe him.

There is much more to say of the hike like the singing preschoolers that walked home with us. Or the village children we met along the way, each touch our lives. For me it was the little village boy who came and took my hand with his dirty little hand. I didn't think much of the act other than he probably wanted to hold the white woman's hand. He kept looking at me with the saddest eyes and I didn't notice much more than his face. Someone in the group then whipered in my ear that the boy must have worms or be severely malnuriated. It was then that I noticed his extended little belly, how painful it looked. His little pants kept falling down and he was constantly holding them up with his other hand. Oh how I wanted to help this little boy, but what could I do other than hold his hand and give him a hug. I'm no longer thinking of my hunger (I'm receiving two large meals a day) it is this little boy I think of, who is lucky if he gets one meager meal a day.

May 7th...

Today was a day of relaxation and I loved every moment of my free time. I did everything from walk through the village to visit the handicraft shop. I was able to journal, read, visit, clean and just have a good time. It was interesting to hear of the hike from those who went. It sounded like a good journey, but very difficult. H. described her experience as a, "butt whipping time."

Later evening was filled with taking turns sharing about our fears of the upcoming village stay. In the group of B., D., M., and I we are all a little afraid of being in the village. I know that my sesotho will be challenged as well as my eating habits (but food is a minor thing).

Today I was becoming more aware of the time people in our group spend talking about one another. It comes with real fear that they are talking about me...hope it's all good.

May 8th...

Today was a very relaxing day. After our morning meeting we had about three hours of free time. After our free time the afternoon was spent watching the horse races and hiking. This hike was special, you only had to go as far as you wanted to and turn back at any time. I made it half way up the hike before I turned around and headed back to the lodge. On the way back I was approached by a man who wanted to be my boyfriend. This was first inclination that maybe I shouldn't have turned back on my own, maybe I should have come back with someone else. I was eventually able to get away from him by enlisting the help of some children who came to me because I had candy to share with them. The whole episode has made me think twice before going out alone again. Earlier in the morning a similiar expereince took place at my host families home. I went for a visit with M. and he left me there with a man who didn't want me to leave and kept grabbing hold of my arm to keep me. It was a scary experience to be left by M. At dinner when M. heard what had taken place that day he was very worried.

continued at a later date...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting that you post Lesotho journals, just a few nights ago I decided to read mine again!