Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Back to Africa...

May 20th...

Today we left Lesotho for South Africa and there was some definite sadness as I hugged my two host sisters goodbye. They were so happy for us (to be traveling), which is so amazing considering they will probably never see the places we will on this trip.

The drive into South Africa was long and bumpy. There was some motion sickness going on, especially for M. We had to pull the bus over for him to throw up. It was rather amusing to watch him bring breakfast back up, while at the same time friendly waving to the basotho persons who were watching him from a side dirt road. I have to say M. is friendly to an extreme.

We were on the road for about seven hours before we arrived at the Zebra National Park in South Africa. Once we arrived into the park I moved into our comfortable little home with my new roommates; K., R., K.

Shortly there after we took a tour of the park and saw many new animals. Eventually, we even saw some zebras, but that took awhile.

After our tour we came back and made dinner of spaghetti and bread. Then there was plenty of great desserts. I'm really enjoying spending time with other people in our group.

I'm looking forward to the next part of our trip and all the tourists attractions. Again I am especially looking forward to the phone and internet access. I have been in my own little world here and I'm anxious to know what is going on around me.

Today in our travels I saw my first white children of Africa. It seemed very strange to see them playing there by the side of the road.

May 21st...

This morning we headed out away from Zebra National Park for Plettenberg Bay. It was a nice long trip, but fortunately not as long as the day before. We were able to see a lot of great sites along our journey. Our passenger bus passed by the world's biggest bungy jump. It was completely insane how long the jump was. You'll never find me going back there to take the fall.

Once we arrived at the beach a good number of us made our way to the computers. I was happy not to receive any disturbing news from home. After I spent time online it was off to the beach. The view was absolutely incredible with the coast line and the mountains. The water was very cold, but I can now say I've been in the Indian Ocean.

It is different being here at Plettenberg Bay. There is definitely a dividing line between the "haves" and the "have nots". I also don't feel quite safe here and more often than not I like to have one of the guys walk with me.

We went out to dinner (a group of four girls) and while walking back some drunk men were calling after us. I can't imagine living in that environment of fear for most of my life. As it is I'm already a little stressed out.

May 22nd...

This morning started very early for me when a naked drunk man walked in to our room (there was six of us females sharing a room) and climbed into bed with J. I first woke to someone entering the room and thought it was L. trying to get into the bunk over mine after going to the restroom. I went back to sleep when the person moved on and then woke again to J. telling someone they had the wrong room and to get out. J. ran from the bed, and N. ran to get H. The problem was that H. was in another building and she came back with four of the guys (yeah for EMU boys) and our bus driver. I stayed in my bed with the blanket over my head simply terrified, as this guy in the bunk over made noises and disturbed us all. I remember feeling so much better when I looked up and there were the boys standing in the doorway. They got this strange man to leave and it turns out he worked for the hostel.

When H. heard of the situation I felt that he handled it very well. Even later in the evening he brought the group together to talk about the incident and stress understanding on the guy's part. I appreciate the sensitivity that most of the guys had over the situation, especially to how vulnerable we ladies felt on the issue.

For me the morning was spent shopping and going out for lunch with R. It was a really relaxful afternoon and helped to take my mind off the earlier events of the day.

During the afternoon hours I decided to walk down to the beach and since no one was available to go with me I went by myself (It was daylight and a very public street). This decision sparked some controversy by a few members of the group, especially after earlier events. Now I'm starting to wonder what sort of level of precaution is good and what is letting fear take to much to hold. I refuse to let fear rule my life.

We had dinner down by the beach. The view was gorgeous, the food excellent and the drinks a little strong for my liking. I loved every minute of it, until I went to the restroom. I was in the bathroom when a guy with dark hair began talking to me through the window. He had been watching me and decided to make me aware of his presence. I felt like all my privacy had been invaded that day and I just broke down. So much for my previous thoughts this afternoon over not letting fear take over.

It was on the walk back to the hostel that I really had a break down over the awful things of the day. I felt as if the man from the window was still watching me, and I couldn't stop from shaking. I couldn't calm myself down until we were back to the hostel and H. held me while I cried, it was like being home with my Dad.

Later that night some of our group went out dancing. I made a point of going, just to get my mind off of the rest of the day. Turns out the evening ended on a really high note and out group had a lot of fun.

May 23rd...

This is Sunday morning and we are leaving Plettenberg Bay for Outsdoorn, South Africa. The drive was only about two hours, but it was enough to see the injustices of what apartheid has brought to this country (even ten years after it's been abolished)

It's hard to drive by tin homes (townships) on the outskirts of towns and then see the wealth of each town. These people who were once forced to live in these homes and are still unable to afford differently. To live in such poverty, in home that are not even constructed properly.

Apartheid...I can't even imagine the anger some must have had (and maybe still do), to be denied so much based on the color of their skin. Then to see the peace these people practice and know once the system of colored segregation was gone. Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God.

Today we went to the Ostrich farm. It was an interesting experience. I was able to sit on an ostrich and take lots of cool pictures.

That evening back at the hostel we ate a delicious meal of Ostrich steaks and sausages . Ostrich tastes a lot like beefs without all the fat...yum.

No comments: