Wednesday, November 16, 2005

In Memory Of...

My Aunt Irene passed away on Sunday, she had cancer. Her funeral was today and I would have liked to have been there, but being that I'm out in Utah it wasn't quite feasible. I did have a chance to talk with my Mom today, and we spent some time remembering the fun things about my aunt.

As far as I'm concerned my Aunt Irene was a free spirit for her generation. She taught me a good bit about living life fully. For starters, I learned that you're never too old to learn something new. My aunt didn't learn to drive until she was in her 70's. Of course at the time I didn't see it as a great accomplishment, for she was the slowest driver you'd ever find yourself behind. Riding with my aunt meant making frequent stops along the side of the road to allow the half dozen to a dozen irate followers to pass. The point here was not how accomplished (or unaccomplished) she was at the skill of driving, it's that she got out there and did it.

My Aunt Irene (along with my Aunt Beanie) took my sister and I on a day trip up to Hot Springs when we were children. I always remember getting up to the springs and changing into my bathing suit to go swimming in the naturally heated water. There were two bath houses there one for men and another for women, each in separate and private areas. Of course we were in the one for women and upon entering I was surprised (in a very childlike fashion) to see women swimming without there swimsuits. Then to my greater astonishment my two aunts take off there towels and instead of swimsuits they were naked too. I had never heard of swimming without any clothes on and was completely shocked. My aunts enter into the water, and then my aunt Irene looks up at me and my sister still standing there wondering what to do, and she tells us not to worry that it's okay to skinnydip.

The message didn't take hold that particular day, but later in my high school days I certainly remembered it, "it's okay to skinnydip." I'm grateful for my aunt Irene who gave me that valuable bit of information.

I could dig up all sorts of wonderful memories about my aunt Irene, from her teaching me to sew pockets, to our walks together, to just playing her very child friendly basement. She was a very special woman and she'll always be remembered in my heart. Aunt Irene I looked forward to the day when we meet again in God's presence. BLESSINGS!!!

No comments: