Friday, November 04, 2005

More From Africa...

May 12th...

With each passing day I'm becoming more and more at home in the village. I'm finding my way around the home and not feeling like a guest as much. As I become more self-sufficent the family treats me as one of their own.

This morning I helped by fixing and serving breakfast. It was a quiet accomplishment of mine. For me it is all about doing things the basotho way. I have all sorts of things I could say or do that would improve upon the basotho way, but I keep my mouth shut. I want to be the learner during this time not the teacher. With the exception of teaching m'e Theresia some new card games.

Later in the morning we went to the lodge to hear Michael (a white South African) speak of growing up during aparthied. His father had a government job and was forced to move because of his work with the blacks. He talks now of affirmative action that makes it really difficult for white men to find employment. Also certain black Africans would like it if the whites would return to their home country. This is a problem though because white South Africans today have been born in South Africa for many generations. They can't return because they have nothing to return to.

It is amazing to me how giving the basotho are, they often wait until we are given then they take smaller portions among themselves. So different from some Americans who are out for all they can get for themselves.

Today I washed myself from a bucket. The trick is to start with the head and work your way down the body. I would never had thought that I would ever clean myself in a bucket, but I did.

We also cleaned a whole load of clothes from the water in three buckets. The first bucket contained soap, the next was rinse water, and the last was frabric softener. It was my job to hang the clothes on the line to dry.

As part of the washing I helped to bring water from the well. I decided to carry my water bucket back in true basotho style by carrying it on my head. At first I succeeded in getting myself quite wet. Then Justinna showed me the trick of placing the bucket towards the front of my head and tilting my chin upwards.

May 13th...

This morning I asked of D. the question that has been plaguing me all week. Here in the house is another young woman, she is not treated like a daughter, but she seems to be part of the family. D. answered the question in that she is the family's servant. I'm really beginning to understand that my host family has much wealth in the midst of great poverty. Even other students from our group are impressed when entering our home. Their wealth probably has something to do with why they are able to house three students instead of two.

Last evening after dinner the family came together to sing to R. D. and myself. The harmony was perfect among them and the sesotho was beautiful in melody. After several songs they turned to us in true basotho fashion and told us it was our turn to sing to them. Since R. and D. refused to sing I sang several songs on my own. I've never really considered myself a singer I just like to sing, but I'll admit that it was a special gift to have them praise my voice, no one has ever told me that I sing well (I'll cherish the compliment even though it was probably given out of politeness).

We went to the high school this morning. It was a very unorganized affair, but you can tell that some learning is taking place. My class was studying english and we were asked to do the work along side the students. Of course this was stuff I learned back in middle school and haven't had much use for since then, so I was feeling pretty rusty and on the spot. My work was accurate though, even if I was originally unsure of the results. We were able to take plenty of pictures at the secondary school as well as the primary school near by.

D. is sick this afternoon. Her stomach is bothering her and she has a low grade fever. Mostly she is upset because she can't spend time with B.

Today unlike other days is going by very slowly. I haven't really been able to spend time with Justinna or Malesa. I've been busy with the course work of this cross cultural experience.

I'm starting to realize there is such a thing as staying busy at a slower pace. Remaining productive, yet being able to enjoy life and relationships. M'e Theresia is a wonderful example of someone who accomplishes much, yet is still focused on relationships. I'm learning that I have much in my life that is keeping me away from what is important. Television or the internet has never given me much joy or lasting memories. Relating with others and spending time in nature has brought me considerable happiness.

May 14th...

I can't believe this week in the village is almost at an end. I have learned so much about life and relationships. I have also learned to make many new foods, play new games and sing new songs. One of my favorite foods includes spaghetti and gravy. Gravy consists of diced onions and tomatoes sauted in oil. The spaghetti had a little sausage added for flavoring, I believe. A new game I learned the first evening was a mix between kick ball and dodgeball. The teams are evenly divided with one up to kick and another in the outfield. A pitcher rolls the ball to the team lined up. Someone will kick the ball in grounds/bounds. The kicking team will then run towards a line in the outfield and back. The outfiend team will recover the ball and try to hit as many kickers as possible. If hit you remain out for the inning. The sides switch if the whole team is outed or someone from the outfield catches a fly ball. There is no keeping score in this game, no winners or losers.

This morning I gave the extra clothes I brought with me away (I brought them for that express purpose). There seems to be much rejoicing by my sister Justinna. She loves clothes and fashions. I can think of many things I would like to send in a Christmas package to my family. Especially for my sisters I would like to send clothes, new clothes.

Our younger sister returned from school last evening. She was really missing her Mom so she decided to skip a day of school and have a long weekend at home. She brings a lot of life with her and many laughs. I learned last evening that she is only ten years old and going to school so far away in Maseru.

Today is a day of relaxation. We have no immediate plans until this afternoon and choir practice. I'm really looking forward to sings some sesotho songs. I feel very privledged to have been invited to join the choir while I'm here.

This afternoon I've been resting and thinking of home. At home it would be easy to steal some time for myself, here it almost seems rude. Like I should be spending time always with others, especially my host family. What I really want is to be reading my fiction book. It is very hard to find personal time here. Only a couple more days though, and this comes with mixed blessings. I enjoy my family and their company, but I feel for certain comforts and for home.

Justinna was just telling me about the "mareshi" a Lesotho gang. This gang usually is found wearing all white. The police also can beat anyone wearing all white, because they are assumed part of the gang. I learned this information after walking by such a man dressed in all white here in little ol' Malaelae.

I asked my sister Justinna this afternoon if she could go anywhere in the world where would she go. Her responses resided right in Lesotho or South Africa. She couldn't even imagine going beyond those two areas. I wonder if she has a hard time seeing past her own world, and if I don't fall into that same category sometimes.

No comments: