Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hope You Ain't Tired of Hearing About Africa???

May 17th...

Today is Brent's birthday and in our group it is N.'s as well. This morning we left the village and headed back to the lodge. I really didn't feel like I belonged at the lodge, the village sort of became my home. We unpacked our belonging and then it was off to the clinic garden for work.

To be honest I wasn't really looking forward to the work and becoming a human plough once again, especially since I knew it would be Wednesday until we finished. I kept reminding myself that I should be thankful for my health and strength that I was able to do such work. H. had promised us a surprise and I was really hoping that it was a horse and plough. We were almost finished when I heard the distant sound of an engine. Then over the hill appears a Ford tractor and plough. I was filled with such awe and thankfulness. At home a tractor would never have impressed me, but here in Lesotho it is a thing of wonder.

This afternoon we traveled to the cultural museum near the lodge. It was a very well done in that it showed the traditional rondavel with added gardens. It was started by a local basotho man who wanted to share his cultural history with others. For being locally done and funed I thought it was very impressive. I especially enjoyed the plant that was thought to clean your ovaries (who ever thought of such a thing).

Everyone seems very thankful to be back in the comforts of the lodge. I still feel though as if I don't quite belong here. It's like I should be getting my water and heading back to the village.

Last night it rained for the first time since we have arrived here in Lesotho. It followed with a brief shower later today. The sky and the thunder promise more rain tonight. This is wonderful for these people who are living in almost constant drought.

May 18th...

This morning I awoke feeling much better from last night's upset stomach.

I am very thankful here of late for simple little luxuries. Like the breakfast this morning of eggs, bacon, toast and hot tea. I'm also resolved that out of my thankfulness I will rejoice more in my life.

This morning morning we traveled to the clinic with water bottles full and we were back in a half an hour with empty water bottles. The planted onions and lemon trees are very happy though.

I plan on spending the rest of my afternoon reading and studying. Even a little visit to the handicraft store.

Later afternoon I spent at m'e Theresia's we had some very good laughs, but none better than over impressions. They do this really great impression of the "princess".

Before going to bed D. was emphasing the importance of relationships in the group. I sat back and listened with doubt because I don't see important relationships coming out of this group (at least not for me). I even value the relationships with the village more highly than some in our group.

***Important Post Script that was not included in original journal***

Some of my most valued friendships came out of this cross cultural experience. I want any of you reading this to understand that the previous paragraph was one of those instances where I was completely wrong and have no justifiable excuse for my opinion at that time.

May 19th...

Today is our last day at the lodge in Lesotho and I'm preparing to leave with some sadness. I'm also becoming more and more excited about traveling on to South Africa. I'm most excited about hooking up with internet access and connecting with home. As much as I'm concerned with home events I'm sure my family is really anxious about my welfare. My friend are probably ready to hear word from me by now.

Today is being spent in preparations to leave and in studying for our two quizzes tonight. I also have my group presentation to prepare for. On top of all this I'm trying to make time for my host family.

I went out into the village for lunch and was followed around by a couple of basotho men that wanted to marry me. I made it back to the lodge with ausi (sister) Justinna, because she didn't like these guys following me around.

I'm sure I did better on the book quiz than I did on my sesotho quiz. Then we had our usual steak dinner and I had papa one last time. I had a pretty nasty headache all during the meal. It wasn't more than a couple advil could handle.

We ended up not giving our group prsentation because H. was not feeling well. I choose to finish packing and go to bed early.

No comments: