Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Sunrise in Salt Lake City

This photo is an early morning view from my bedroom window. The fact that I was up and attentive at this hour is a true surprise to not only me, but I'm sure the rest of you who know me so well. And once you hear my reasoning for being up at this unseemly hour (and the fact that I went forth with my plan despite wanting another hour of sleep) you'll think I've lost it.

Because for reasons beyond me I decided late last night that I wanted to participate in a water aerobics class at my gym. The only problem with this kind of decision is that the only classes offered in water aerobics are held at 5:45 a.m. (YAWN!!) But I made the decision and I set the alarm clock for 5:00 a.m. with all the best of intentions. For one thing I've learned about myself through the years is that very little motivates me to arise from bed before the sun itself has yet fully arisen.

To my surprise it wasn't that difficult to get myself out of bed and moving this morning. In fact I only hit the snooze button once before rousing myself completely, which is quite an accomplishment just ask any of my former roommates. I even found myself at the gym about ten minutes early for the class so I decided to make good use of the whirlpool.

Getting into the nice warm whirlpool wasn't the brightest idea I ever had, it just made getting into the nice cool pool even more difficult ten minutes later. The class itself wasn't bad, the other woman were quite enjoyable company (yeah that's right no men, for some reason they can't handle water aerobics). I found that the chlorine didn't bother me too much, since my head was above water the whole time.

It wasn't until I was back home that I realized what a workout you can get from water resistance. I'm absolutely and completely tired and my arms in particular feel like dead weight. That's okay who really needs functioning arms anyway, especially when all I have to do today is answer phones for some company...phone up to my ear...phone down to the cradle...up...down...up...down...I'm sure I'll survive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Sabrina here. You are hilarious. I don't know who in their right mind would wake up at 5 am to do water arobics. I'm usually going to be at that hour. Oh, random question...have you kept in touch with our Cape Town family, Grahm and family?? Just curious! Hope you like Salt Lake City!