Sunday, July 10, 2005

Pride and Prejudice and Utah Customs...

Being that I'm particularly fond of Jane Austen and her work, it's no real surprise that I find myself writing on the subject of Pride and Prejudice. Recently I made the discovery of the modern-day 2003 film version of Pride and Prejudice. I found myself enjoying this version, though it didn't follow the book as true to form as other films I've seen on the book.

When the film began a vague sense of familiarity settled over me. In the beginning I couldn't place the reasons why this version in particular seemed so familiar, but as events took place it became quite apparent. It was the scenery that seemed most familiar in the film, and so I wasn't surprised when a reference was made to the location being Utah.

The more I thought on the subject the more convinced I was that the location for the film was quite appropriate. It's ironic how appropriate it would be for a modern-day Pride and Prejudice plot to have occurred in Utah. For starters, in no other state in the union except Utah would a woman be considered so much an old maid at age 24 that she could play a convincing Elizabeth. Also, there is the proximity of Salt Lake City, Utah to Las Vegas that works in the plot's favor of Kitty's elopment. It being commonly understood here as a tragedy in Mormon circles when young couples drive off to Las Vegas to be married rather than hold ceremonies in the Temple.

What I noticed most about this version in comparison to location and plot of the novel is that the Church reference is definitely Latter-Day Saint. In several instances in the film, references are made to Church and in each case it involves the virtues of the Mormon faith or scripture taught by the LDS Church. These references to the LDS Church are not exactly in tune to anything in Jane Austen's novel, but they are interesting nuances to be able to pick up on.

Overall, I felt it was very appropriate to place the setting of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in Utah. After spending quite some time now in Salt Lake City I understand how applicable the novel truly is to this area and culture. For as Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy lived in their own peculiar culture and society, so do many Mormons out here in good ol' Utah.

No comments: