Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pictures from the last week...

I've been accused in the past of not posting enough pictures to my blog, so the following are some photos for your viewing pleasure. These pictures have all been taken in the last week or so and reflect mostly on the visitors I've had to Salt Lake.

First off, we have a picture of Willard and Melba Heatwole up at Silver Lake. This lake is where we spent an hour or so of our afternoon strolling along the boardwalk examining the plants and wildlife. All I can say, what a relaxing way to spend the day!! You should come out and try it for yourself sometime.








Another view from the lovely Silver Lake. Don't you just love those lakes located in the higher elevations, where the mountain peaks are JUST THERE? Well, I do.



And yet another spectacular view...doesn't it make you want to come visit??













Here's another photo of interest that I took during Willard and Melba's visit to Salt Lake. While they were in town we spent part of our morning visiting Sandra Tanner over at Utah Lighthouse Ministry. Sandra is one of my good friends, so she pulled out this hate package she had received for us to look at. If you're confused as to what she's holding up, it's sign that says, "No Thanks Satan." The border surrounding this sign is a collection of DVD's that a Christian organization passed out in the community. The DVD's were broken so they can not be used again and attached to the sign. This sign was left on Sandra's doorstep. This is just one example of the kind of messages Sandra receives regularly.





Here's a random picture I took just recently. I was out with some friends on Saturday night when I saw a poster advertisement for the Salt Lake City monopoly game. I was most intrigued with the center of the board, where it said all proceeds benefit, "Mali Aftica." No that is not a typo on my part, that is definitely a "t" and not the letter "r". Come on people can't we spell Africa??










Now moving along to other visits from persons back home, here is some pictures of the Discovery 2007 group from EMHS (Eastern Mennonite High School) that are traveling around the west as I write this. They were in Utah on Sunday and I was able to spend Sunday evening with them.

This picture is of Helen Furry (second from the left) and her tent mates. Let me see if I can remember the names correctly, in order (left to right) they are, Heather, Helen, Brooke, and Rose. Some day Helen will have to tell me if my memory served me correctly and I did get them right. By the way, I helped ever so briefly with putting up this tent, I did a good job didn't I?


Here's another photo of the Discovery 2007 group. As you can see the group is out for a swim or a wade depending on what part of the photo you're looking at. Here they are in the Great Salt Lake. I think they are finding it not so much to their liking. Just to get to the lake they had to battle the hordes of small bugs the wind kept blowing at them. Then once they were in the lake it was the salt the beseeched them. In the end they came out looking flaky white with dried salt falling off their various limbs.

Despite the conditions you could see they were enjoying themselves on this trip. I just don't believe that many of them will make their way back to the Great Salt Lake any time soon (or if ever).


I'll leave you with this beautiful picture that was taken early into the sunset on Sunday. I was out at the campsite for the Discovery 2007 group, which was on Antelope Island (out in the middle of the Great Salt Lake). As you can see it looks like a barren land, which it is aside from the magnificent wildlife that you will find there, including but not limited to bison and antelope. The sunset on this particular evening was breathtaking and turned much more vibrant in color than even this photo demonstrates. I just never got my camera out again after this photo so I missed the shot 20 minutes later when the sky turned almost magenta in color. Well, on the bright side you still have this wonderful picture to look at!!

No comments: