Monday, July 16, 2007

What a Week...

....I had last week.

It all began late Sunday evening when two voyagers from Virginia made their way to Salt Lake City. Willard and Melba are second cousins to my Dad, but there is kind of a generation gap between them. So having Willard and Melba come to visit was like having my grandparents visit me. What's even better about the family connection is that Willard had grown up with my Granddad, albeit about ten years his junior. It was fun hearing stories from Willard about my Granddad, especially since we lost Granddad about seven years ago.

What a nice visit I had with Willard and Melba. Like I mentioned before they came in to town on Sunday evening and were here until early Tuesday morning. I was able to spend Monday with them.

On Monday morning we started our day having breakfast with our hosts Tom and Judy Weaver (they are friends of mine from church - and graciously agreed to host Willard and Melba in their home). Then it was off to downtown Salt Lake City for Willard, Melba and myself. We spent some time that morning touring Temple Square, we voted for the self-guided tour directed by me. From Temple Square it was off to Utah Lighthouse Ministry and Sandra Tanner for the other side of the story.

After only those two jaunts around town we had enough of city life and headed out into the canyons for a picnic lunch and a nice walk around Silver Lake (located up at Brighton Ski Resort).

Those activities tied up our time until late afternoon. By that time in the day all our energies were flagging and we made our way back to Tom and Judy's home for a nice long visit and a delicious dinner. That evening I said good-bye to Willard and Melba and made my way back home, feeling as if I should be going back to Virginia with them the next day.

The very next day at work I really wished I was on the plane with Willard and Melba headed back to Virginia. On Tuesday our work server decided to fail us and made working near impossible. Of course it ended up being the day that the business received the most orders on record. UGH!! What a headache that day was.

The rest of the work week wasn't much better. I spent long hours at the office and when I wasn't work I was studying for my upcoming Series 7 exam.

Of course to cap off the stressful part of the week, my car decides to die and place me in the position of having to find a new one. I finally resolved the issue of a vehicle on Saturday afternoon when I bought a used 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Me and my new car (the guys have named her Lawanda) have spent some bonding time together this weekend and we've decided that we very much like our new relationship. Though you may all now recognize a moment of silence for my ol' granny mobile. That ol' gal was as faithful and as loyal as a car could ever be. We'll miss my Mercury Topaz I'm sure.

Well after the car buying excursion I needed to test out this vehicle with a nice long drive and the perfect opportunity presented itself on Sunday evening with the arrival of Discovery 2007 (the EMHS student group traveling the west). This group of students and teachers camped themselves about an hour drive from Salt Lake City and I made sure to make the trip out to surprise the students I know.

What a nice visit I had with these kids. They sure looked like they were having a good time on their trip and they were nice about including me as their guest for the evening. We even ended the evening with one of my favorite and most missed activities since leaving Virginia, we sang hymns. IT WAS WONDERFUL...all that four part harmony.

Well, that was my busy week in a nut shell. I hope you enjoyed the little update. Hopefully I'll be back soon to post some pictures of the events as well. Until then...take care.

No comments: