Sunday, August 07, 2005

Yesterday, I drove north of Salt Lake City to a beautiful canyon near Layton, Utah. I wasn't by myself in this adventure, I had the companionship of my dear friend Maija. It was actually Maija's idea for the hike, she had read that this particular spot had the most gorgeous wildflowers that peaked the first week in August. This being the first week in August it was as good a time as any to see these beautiful flowers.


The scenery was amazing on this trip. First off, the drive out to our hiking spot was wonderful. After we reached Layton everything north was canyon driving. To my amazement everything was green, not at all like Salt Lake City and it's brown grass. I'm told that all the trees and extra vegetation has a way of generating more rain amounts in those areas. All I know is that I saw lakes, ponds, streams, meadows, peaked mountains, beautiful trees, and lovely wildflowers. And that doesn't even begin to mention the wildlife we encountered along the way. I should have known where there is that many wildflowers there would be an abundance of bees...YIKES!!! At first all the buzzing of the bees had me a little unnerved, but eventually I accepted their presence. What I didn't accept was the flies that were in the area, they were vicious things that bite meriously. Unfortunately, I have several red welt marks to prove how painful and pesky these flies were.

For the most part, Maija and I were good about staying on the designated trail, but when we came to this lovely field of wildflowers we had to venture off the path for a few photos. Actually these photos show Maija alone venturing off trail, I'm leaving the incriminating photos of me off this site.

No comments: