Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Separation of Church and State...does that still exist in Utah?

Okay, I'll be fair, there does exist a separation between Church and State in Utah, but only by a VERY FINE GRAY line. What can you expect for a state where the majority of its residents are members of the LDS Church? I can't be exact (since I've heard at this point many possible percentages), but as far as I'm able to determine about 85 percent of Salt Lake City is Mormon and 97 percent of Provo. Those are huge majorities.

Ultimately, these majorities lead to Mormon city officials, judges, mayors, congressmen and senators. The policies of the state of Utah are determined by the will of the LDS Church through its elected members.

So how does this Church/State play out you might ask? Let's start with a little fact I picked up this week, it truly is minor and inconsequential in the whole scheme of the situation, but at least it's interesting. It came to my knowledge this last Sunday that the LDS Church owns a street in Salt Lake City. This is not just any street in the city, it happens to be Main Street, the very center of the city. I'll ask you, when have you ever heard of a Church owning a street, especially in a large city such as Salt Lake? More importantly, why would a Church want to own a street?
I really don't have an answer to that second question, I more or less asked the question out of my own curiousity. For I find the whole circumstance of buying a street a little ridiculace. I wish at this that I had the figure for which the street went for, this is something I'll have to reference at a later date. I can only imagine that it would have cost in the millions, and that leads me to ask, how better could that money have been spent?

Instead of buying a frivilous item such as a road, could the money have gone to feeding the homeless or providing help to a single mom? In a world beset by need and pain, should we not be giving of our blessings to others less fortunate? So, I ask this of the LDS Church, why buy a street, why not support those who would be living on your street?

No comments: