Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Holy Cow...What a Tasty Treat

So this past Saturday my evening was spent with two new friends at the Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork, Utah. This wasn't my first time at a Hindu Krishna Temple, my first time was actually with my World Religions class at EMU.

I saw no issue in attending the Festival at the Krishna Temple, I saw my part as that of an observer. The festival was in celebration of Nepal's History; with videos, plays, dances and special music. It was an interesting cultural experience.

As mentioned earlier I did attend with two new friends that I've met since arriving in Utah; Tyler and Maija. Before arriving at the festival Tyler decided to stop at a Carl Jr's for a nice tasty burger, since he had missed dinner earlier in the evening. There was a problem, being that Tyler was our driver to the event, so he had to hold off on eating his meal.

Once we arrived to the festival Tyler grabbed his Carl Jr's meal bag and left the car for the Krishna Temple area. All along I'm thinking he was going to finish his hamburger before arriving at the Temple. Not so, Tyler takes his meal bag all the way up to the Temple steps and sits down to begin his meal.

At this point I couldn't take it any more, I couldn't believe he was being that rude. Though I don't hold to Hindu beliefs myself, I don't believe in directly insulting another person and their religious beliefs. So I say to Tyler, "Man, what do you think you're doing?"

"HUH?" Tyler questions with a mouthful of juicy redmeat.

"You know, eating what Hindus consider sacred right on the Temple steps."

"WHAT!! Are you serious?" Was his response all the while taking his hamburger throwing it back into the bag and hiding it all tucked under his arm.

At this point my only reaction was to begin laughing, for I realized that by Tyler's look of guilt he hadn't known that the cow was considered sacred to all Hindus.

After realizing that I wasn't joking or playing him for a fool, Tyler practically took off at a run for the safety of his car to be finishing his nice tasty treat. He came back with a satisfied smile and a remark that "illegal" foods were the most tasty of all.

No comments: