Sunday, May 29, 2005

I Ate a Moldy Bagel...

....or atleast half of one. I still can't get over the blunder myself, for that's what this culinary experience was just one nasty mistake. For I have this thing about food, I want it to be fresh, healthy for me and atleast have some redeeming taste to it. I definitely have a paranoia concerning food and it's freshness, as I rightly should, having had the displeasure of experiencing food poisoning on several occasions. It is because of my past forays in food related illnesses that make me more inclined to toss out outdated foods than experiment with them in my next meal.

Unfortunately for me in my haste to take nourishment this morning before going off to Church I ate half of a moldy bagel. The moldy side was facing away from me and its existence did not come to my attention until I innocently flipped over the bagel for another bite and saw green fuzz. Since half of the green fuzz circle was missing I realized that it could only mean I had ingested that portion.

Here's where I should interject that I have a fairly weak stomach concerning things I deem "nasty". Molds are nasty, deep cuts are nasty, rotting carcasses are nasty, and a variety of other things make my list of nasty. I usually know when I have something new to add to my "nasty" when my gag reflex starts to go at it. So for me overcoming "nasty" things is really a practice in mind over matter.

So truly for the better part of my drive to Church this morning I was working at overcoming this matter of the digested mold. Even now I'm thinking that I need to walk down to the pantry and throw away the rest of the horribly offensive bagels, but I'm a little disturbed by the fact that I'll come yet again into contact with that green mold.

Thankfully for me, I was able to get a hold of myself this morning and get past the mold issue without embarrassing myself in any way. The new Church I had the pleasure of visiting probably went a long way in taking my mind off my previous issues of the morning.

I attended a CMA (Christian and Mission Alliance) Church located in Murray, Utah. Murray is fairly close to where I am living now, which is Kearns, and both are seen as being part of the greater Salt Lake City. I had a wonderful time at the worship service and felt almost immediately at home. I'm really looking forward to attending again next Sunday and meeting more of the Christian Community there.

No comments: