Friday, December 30, 2005

God's Providence...

That's right this entry is going to touch on God's providence. How is God looking out for me? This might be a silly example but it's very fresh in my mind.

Tonight while I was at work someone walked out on their bill. This happens more times than you'd like to see in the restuarant business. What these miscreants usually don't understand is that the servers are accountable for the bill and it comes out of our hard earned money.

As I mentioned earlier some young guy (probably 19 or 20) and his girlfriend walked out on their bill tonight leaving just $4 on a $14.80 bill. The people who leave a few dollars are the ones who think they are being sooooo smart. Leave a little money so it looks like they've paid up, and then the server doesn't think too much about it until they've already raced out the door.

Where does God's providence come into this you might ask. For starters I was only taken for $10.80, it could have been a much larger sum out of my pocket. Secondly, this guy wasn't so smart, he left in his seat a receipt from Blockbuster video with his name on it.

Blockbuster was kind enough to work with us on getting his phone number, but unfortunately that was a disconnected number. The disconnected number was a surprise to both Blockbuster and us, seeing as the fact that he just signed up membership to Blockbuster that very evening.

I was the first one to try the number and realize it was disconnected. This really didn't discourage me though, I still had his name and at any moment I could pick up the phone and call the police. I know that there are plenty of view points out there as to what you think I should have done in the situation...I mean somebody stole from me and I had his name.

I didn't call the police, but I did visit Blockbuster after work (it was right across the street). I felt a certain responsibility to inform them that he had given a disconnected number. I also knew from talking with the table that they weren't happy with another video store because of interest they had accrued due to late fews.

The ladies at Blockbuster were so nice to me (again God's providence). They were thankful over the phone number issue and made a note in their computers that they needed a correct number. They also volunteered making another note on my behalf stating, "Jenn from Chili's says Hi, she would also appreciate it if you could pay the remainder of your bill $10.80. A tip would also be nice, Marcus!"

I might never see that money and that's okay (I mean it's only money). But it does make me smile to think that every time this young guy goes to rent a video he's going to be reminded of my little message. This to someone who thought they were being smart and cool, getting away without paying their bill.

This whole episode tonight has made me stop and think of all the years I've waited tables and they people who've walked without paying. God's providence has been with me, for it really hasn't happened all that much to me (though I've seen it happen to others plenty). Only one other time sticks out clearly in my mind. It was a married couple and they ordered so much between the two of them. I left the check at their table and then had to check in the back for another tables order. By the time I was back they were gone and leaving me with a $80.00+ bill.

At the time I wanted to cry. I hadn't even made that much money that night. I was going to be stuck giving over all my earning from the shift and then some. It was then that I noticed the nice leather jacket the man left behind. I mean it was top quality, worth far more than $80.00. Well, again with God's providence, here I had lost out on $80.00 cash, but I had a jacket I could sell on eBay for a hundred or more.

I took the jacket and the bill back to the manager explaining the situation and my plans (we had a good laugh about stupid criminals). About two hours later though the same man walks through the door looking for his jacket in the booth. He had the nerve to come up to me asking if I had seen his jacket (I will admit he did so with some nervousness).

At the time I smiled and took pity on the man. I explained how we keep all lost and found in the back office and I would have a manager look for it. I then went back and explained the situation to the manager he came out with the jacket and the bill. I don't know what was said but in the end the man left with his jacket and the manager had the bill paid. God's PROVIDENCE!!!

No comments: